Monday, January 4, 2010

Breakaway Cookvook (yes, cookvook)!

I was reading David Lebovitz today and he mentioned that Eric Gower, of Breakaway Cook fame, has embraced the concept of a cookvook - or video book. Eric's vook is available as an online version and as an iPhone app. David says:
The advantage to these video cookbooks is that one don't need to buy anything else; you can use your computer or iPhone, and the price is within reach. You can also take them with you to the market or when traveling.
Eric's vook contains recipes, videos and ways to connect to his community through social media. You can check it out here!

I'm not sure how I feel about this - I like the idea that my cookbooks (and those handed down to me) tell stories. One can tell the favorite recipes by the smudged pages and comments written in the margins...how would you do that with a vook?

Actually, I often find myself printing out the recipes I download from the web to have near the stove - where they get dripped on (but better the printouts than my computer!) and then go into my bulging recipe folder where they continue my story. But I don't want to be accused of being a luddite, so you can check it out for yourselves and add your thoughts in the comments!

Happy cook-vooking....

sandi w

PS The comments in response to David's article are also really interesting...

No comments: