Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ad Hoc - Be sure to plan ahead!

Here's an interesting comment in a review I found of Ad Hoc - which we will be cooking from in upcoming months...remind you of anything?? ;-)

In his introduction Keller writes: “It delights me to offer here a big collection of family meals and everyday staples, delicious approachable foods, recipes that are doable at home…” Right up my alley — finally a Keller book that people can actually cook from! But when I tested the Iceberg Lettuce Slices, I wanted to give up halfway through. The recipe has only eight ingredients (which initially caught my attention), but four of them require sub recipes. A total of 31 ingredients and four hours later, my salad, although delicious, was finally done. His blue cheese dressing requires homemade aioli (no big deal), but the aioli requires oil from garlic that has been confited. The aioli alone had 17 ingredients.

BTW, this comes from a blog called Food52, written by Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs. You might want to check it out.

-- sandi w

No comments: