Thursday, July 30, 2009

Quest for Crispy Garlic and Onion Topping

I have been serving an appetizer that consists of Acme Bread baguette slices that have been tossed lightly in EVO and baked in an oven until golden and then topped with creamy brie or goat cheese and crispy garlic and onions. The crispy garlic and onion topping was a purchased item made in Israel by a company called Avvio. I found this item originally at Whole Foods about 10 years ago and when they stopped carrying it, I ordered 6 bottles online (shipping cost efficiency). I have served this appetizer over the years and always get thumbs up feedback. Several weeks ago I served it once again at a dinner with my last jar. I went online to order more but alas, the company no longer exists and I can’t find anything that resembles it.

What can I do? Of course, what all gourmands do!! One of our dinner guests and I have been experimenting to see if we can make our own crispy garlic & onion topping. Don tried deep-frying the garlic to get it crispy but a few hours later, the garlic was no longer crispy but chewy.

Today, I tried to bake the garlic and I think this is the answer to our quest. I think the oven is the way to dehydrate the garlic so there is no moisture left and then to quickly put it in the oil so it has no chance to absorb the moisture in the air.

I purchased a jar of peeled garlic to make the project easier on me.

Use a mandolin to slice the garlic because it helps to have uniform slices. Just watch your fingers because you can't use the device that slides the garlic across the blade because the garlic clove is too small. I tried hand slicing the garlic and it will work, you just have to watch the baking very closely and take the ones that are done out while the rest keep baking. The big thing to watch is to not burn the garlic (it’s very bitter).

Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil (Trader Joe's has olive oil spray) or lightly oil the surface. Lay the sliced garlic in a single layer over the oiled surface. Lightly spray the top of the garlic slices. Bake in 300º oven about 10 minutes and watch carefully. I tried lower temps (200º and 250º) but I couldn't get the garlic to bake to a golden color. . . maybe 275º might work because you do have to watch that the garlic doesn't burn at 300º. Bake until the garlic is golden in color. If it gets brown, you’ll have to toss it out.

When I checked the ingredients on my last bottle of Avvio, it listed small chili peppers, as well as salt. Use a neutral oil (like canola) with a bit of EVO. About a 2/3 : 1/3 ratio. I tried 100% EVO and the olive oil taste was too noticeable. I added pieces of Trader Joe’s Fried Onions , chili flakes and salt to the garlic and oil, and hours later, it was all still crispy and pretty close to the real thing. I guess you could also bake the onion slices but TJ’s product makes the process easier. Serve on toasted baguette slices topped with either brie or creamy goat cheese. Do not pre-prepare this appetizer, assemble just before you want to serve it or the garlic and onions will get chewy.

BUT, if you find it in a jar, that's still the easiest way to prepare it! AND, if you do, please let me know where I can purchase a jar....or two!

Enjoy and let me know how your attempts come out!

Sandi

No comments: