Monday, June 29, 2009

New recipe for you!

It’s been a while since I’ve shared any of my gourmet gluttony with you because I’ve been just swamped with other things. I think what I am is a "dilettante" because I am interested in too many things! I just took a beginning quilting class but am not “hooked” on quilting just yet. Maybe I need a more interesting project than simple squares…just like gourmet cooking. I used to be a stained glass artist in Carmel in my youth so I view quilting as a similar form of expression and can now use fabric instead of glass. AND, speaking of stained glass and Carmel...

Do you remember a restaurant in the late 70’s (if you are that old) in Carmel called “Charlie O’s?” Charles Ober was a chef ahead of his time and was creating dishes that blended Asian, French and American flavors and the use of fresh produce. It was a destination restaurant before there were celebrity chefs. I first met Charles when he was the executive chef at a restaurant in New York City called The Ginger Man (which has sadly become a microbrewery). It was owned by Patrick O’Neal, a character actor, and his brother. Charles is now the Executive Chef at a private Country Club near Seattle, WA….and since none of us can eat there, I won’t bother you with the name. Anyway, it brings me to a recent e-mail from Charles. I sent him our Crowing Coq blog url and this is his response. English is not his first language so I am not sure of the recipe directions nor have I tried it yet but it sounds delicious. The photo is of Charles with his wife, Kimi.

I looked at your cookbook club blog and at first look it’s very professional and the format is very good.

What most folks miss is that for gourmet cooking, learning the basics is essential. In my case it took years to learn and help from other professional chefs, plus many trips and years in Asia helped a lot. I also spent 5 years in Australia. I went to Japan to learn what a wonderful culture it is and what wonderful foods they have.

I am happy that you still use my recipes but that was when I was in “kindergarten,” so to speak. My latest innovation is a Bing Cherry Dressing with Mixed Garden Greens. Lots of Arugula and raw chunks of pears and apples topped with Maytag Blue Cheese and Candied Pecans. Chicken strips can be added or roasted lamb filets. This dressing is based on reducing balsamic vinegar, puré of roasted garlic, add a little sugar then cool completely. Then, add some water, red wine vinegar, a bit of ground cloves and cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add a good vegetable oil and create an emulsion with a small electric handheld mixer, (the kind the one with a small blade on the bottom). Do not use a wire whip. It all gets mixed with Bing Cherry Marmalade but goes into a hot reduction first. Give it a try! To make the Bing Cherry Marmalade, reduce the Balsamic by one third first then add Bings, salt & pepper to taste, and red wine vinegar. Cool well and then add to the emulsion mixture. That's all, Sandi, now back to work at the Club. Charles.


Since it’s the last of the cherry season, try this recipe soon! If you do, enter "comments" about the amounts you tried since I didn’t get any measurements. Bill’s favorite fruit is cherries so I will give this one a try but only after I’ve tried the Tripe & Potato Terrine recipe from Richard Olney’s book, Simple French Food!

Bon Appétit!

No comments: